- Filed under: Health and Fitness DOH Secretary Janette Garin: Projects and Milestones of 2015 by Cheryl Villareal on Jun 1st, 2016
A few weeks ago, an intimate lunch with bloggers and other media personalities was organized to give everyone a better idea of what the Department of Health has been doing for the past 19 months or so. Dr. Janette Garin, DOH’s secretary of healthy gladly discussed completed and ongoing projects of the DOH, all of which quickly caught my interest.
About Dr. Janette Garin:
Dr. Janette Garin was appointed as the Under Secretary of the ... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Biking, Biking/ Cycling, Featured, Health and Fitness Biking in the City: 5 Tips for the Newbie Biker by Bea Chua on May 20th, 2016
I learned how to bike when I was little, but it wasn’t until late 2013 that I embraced cycling as part of my fitness routine. I was highly influenced by my dad, who got addicted to it earlier on. Much of what I know about biking came from him. Our bike trips are always planned on early weekends and holidays, when cars are at a minimum.
Learning to bike is one thing, but biking around the city is another. It was a bit scary at first to be out... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Duathlon, Fit and Healthy, Fun in Manila, Fun Runs and Marathons, Health and Fitness, Lifestyle and Events, Multisport, People and Places, Results and Experiences, Travel and Events Batangas Earth and Fire Festival 2016: Ride, Run, and Play in Balete by Nel de Leon on May 18th, 2016
Ever thought of going to Balete, Batangas for a nice weekend getaway?
Batangas is roughly a two-hour drive from Manila and is probably the first in mind when we think of a nice beach or hiking activity. Usually, it's the popular towns that get in the list first -- Nasugbu, Cuenca, Taal, Laiya. How about considering Balete?
Sherdon and I got to experience Balete at the Batangas Earth and Fire Festival on the last weekend of January, organize... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Featured, Fun Runs and Marathons, Health and Fitness, International Marathons, Results and Experiences, Running News and Highlights, Swimming Nike’s First All-Women Half Marathon in Manila: Inspiring Filipinas to be #BetterForIt by Cheryl Villareal on May 17th, 2016
Last May 15, 2016 marked the culmination of the Nike Women Victory Tour in Manila. The streets of Pasay were colored orange as more than 4,000 Filipinas runners conquered the 21km run with their buddies. In the spirit of Nike Women Victory Tour, runners committed to be #BetterForIt from the time of registering for the race last January 2016 through a series of short runs and training sessions hosted by Nike in BGC.
Duri... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Health and Fitness, Health and Nutrition Herbalife Nutrition at Work: On Obesity and Brain Fuctionality by Cheryl Villareal on May 11th, 2016
Survey Reveals Majority of Philippines’ Workforce are at Risk of Obesity
Even without the official numbers, you can already tell just by looking at the people around you how several of our fellow Filipinos are at risk of obesity. Obesity however is just the tip of the iceberg. Imagine all the illnesses one can obtain because of being overweight – diabetes, heart attack etc.
Recently, Herbalife, a global nutrition company released the find... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Fun Runs and Marathons, Health and Fitness Dusk to Dawn: Run for Road Safety 2016 by Cheryl Villareal on May 5th, 2016
The first-ever Auto Review Road Safety Olympics season is coming to a close. Soon. But before that curtain call, the much anticipated running event and fuel economy run will first be held, coinciding with the start of the 2016 season.
Set this May 22, 2016, Sunday at the SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City, the Auto Review Road Safety Olympics finale-cum-launch dubbed as: "Dusk-to-Dawn" (D2D) event is eyed as the most exciting highlight affair ever ... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Duathlon, Featured, Health and Fitness, Results and Experiences, Swimming, Training, Triathlon, workout and exercise Jump In With Streamline Sports Instruction: Learn the Best and Most Efficient Way to Swim by Cheryl Villareal on Apr 28th, 2016
It seems almost mandatory that when summer kicks in, parents start enrolling their kids in various summer classes. Perhaps one of the most famous would be swimming lessons. I mean, whether you love swimming or not, it’s almost necessary to at least know the basics. I however, never learned to swim. It’s not that I never tried… I did. My parents enrolled me 3 times when I was younger (Yes! 3 times), but somehow, my fear of drowning always go... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Family Run, Featured, Fun Runs and Marathons, Health and Fitness, Night Run Color Manila Blacklight Run: A “Party” Run for a Cause by Cheryl Villareal on Apr 22nd, 2016
Back in 2013, Color Manila hosted the first and biggest color fun run in the country. The run was like no other as it literally filled the streets of BGC with color. Thousands, including both running enthusiasts and non-runners participated in this one-of-a-kind fun run for all ages. The goal, more than just running for fitness, was to just let everyone have fun.
The Color Manila Run Franchise:
The first Color Manila... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Health and Fitness, Running Gear and Apparels, Running News and Highlights Boost Manila: adidas Hosts the First and Biggest Running Community Meet in the Country by Cheryl Villareal on Apr 22nd, 2016
A few days ago, someone asked me what keeps me motivated to run. While a lot of runners have their BIG and inspiring reasons, I really just started running because I was somehow forced to. What kept me running on the other hand was the knowledge that I wanted to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I won’t deny that there were many times that I just didn’t want to get up at 3am to run, however, knowing that my friends were waiting for me gave me tha... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Featured, Health and Fitness, Running Gear and Apparels Urbanears Hellas: Headphones Made for Sports by Cheryl Villareal on Apr 21st, 2016
Music has always been an integral part of working out. More than just the good mood it puts us in, listening to music somehow keeps us distracted. Sometimes, we just get pulled into the music so much that we forget how tired we already are. Moreover, having a good soundtrack as we work out is bound to keep our bloods pumping, making us want to keep going as we move to the beat.
Though most gyms take care of the music for us, not all gyms will ... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )