- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Earth Day, Featured, Messy art, Night and Day, Teaching Ideas Full Moon Art with Bottles and Toothbrushes by Cheryl Villareal on Nov 7th, 2016
When learning about Day and Night, there are a variety of activities the kids can do. For this article however, I'm going to focus on the art. Children are so used to the moon's crescent shape, that creating a full moon art was actually surprising to them. Some even told me the moon wasn't round. I of course grabbed this opportunity to talk about the different phases of the moon. An experiment with a styrofoam ball and a flashlight would also be ... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Christmas, Classroom Designs, Featured, Holiday crafts, Teaching Ideas Classroom Fireplace Decor for Christmas by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 24th, 2012
We didn't have a Christmas tree nor any big Christmas lanterns, so where could we put the gifts on Christmas Day? Hmm.... why not build a fireplace!
What you will need:
White Cartolina or Bond Paper
Brown, red and black paint
Red, orange and yellow paper
What you will do:
Step 1: To get that "wood" effect, we painted on white cartolina using the colors Re... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Featured, Holiday crafts, Teaching Ideas Giant Earth for Earth Day by Cheryl Villareal on Apr 7th, 2012
I think earth day is a very important day which gives special attention to mother nature and the beautiful planet we live in. We take our world for granted and abuse it, assuming that somehow, everything will just get better on it's own... thing is, it isn't. And if there's one place to start.. it's with the kids.
So for our extended activity, we decided to have the kids make a gigantic earth! If you've read my previous post, you'd also know h... Read More » Tags Share Comments (3 )
- Filed under: Colors and Shapes, Cooking in Class, Easter, Edible crafts, Featured, Holiday crafts, Mothers' Day, St. Patrick's Day, Teaching Ideas Rainbows in my Tummy! Yummy Rainbow Pancakes! by Cheryl Villareal on Mar 14th, 2012
When cooking, one of the things chefs/cooks need to give importance to is the ay the food will be presented. I am always amazed at how they're able to design and create food in the most unique and mouth-watering ways! Well, I'm no chef... but I AM a preschool teacher! We preschool teachers might not be able to prepare food in a classy and sophisticated way, but we can get as artistic as we can!... and in my case a little messy! haha
... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Christmas, Classroom Designs, Featured, Holiday crafts, Recycled art, Teaching Ideas Puzzled Christmas Wreath by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 18th, 2011
It’s always fun to come up with a variety of objects to glue unto our Christmas wreaths! Last year, we tried gluing mittens and bottle caps, this year, we tried using old puzzle pieces to make colorful wreaths!
So I’m sure most of you have tried letting your kids put together a puzzle or two and after completing it, the puzzle pieces start getting lost one by one. So now you’re left with a box filled with incomplete puzzle pieces, what d... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Christmas, Featured, Holiday crafts, Teaching Ideas 2 in 1: Christmas Lantern and Christmas Card by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 12th, 2011
We originally wanted to make a Christmas lantern that we could hang inside the classroom (and the kids could hang in their homes later on). However, while doing the activity, we realized we could make it more meaningful by turning this lantern into a Christmas card….and so we did just that!
What you will need:
Colored tissue paper/ Crepe paper/ Japanese Paper
Ca... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Featured, Halloween, Holiday crafts, Personalize, Role Play, Teaching Ideas Monster Feet for Halloween! by Cheryl Villareal on Oct 28th, 2011
Halloween is coming up and a lot of people around the world are ready to celebrate Halloween. However, we don't celebrate it as much here in the Philippines. Still, who says we can't get it a little with the Halloween cheer right? I personally love the occasion but I don't want to go against the culture of our school as well. So, here's what we ended up with!
What you will need:
Two identical tissue boxes
C... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Christmas, Featured, Hands can feel, Holiday crafts, Magic Art, Messy art, Science Experiments, Seasons, Senses and Body Parts, Summer, Teaching Ideas, Winter Ice Painting with the Kids by Cheryl Villareal on Aug 28th, 2011
When doing art with kids, one thing we need to remember is that the LESS structured it is, the MORE their creativity shines! As Teacher Tom once said, "It is not our job to be creative, it's the kid's" This line stuck with me and I always remember this when doing an art activity with the kids.
Last year, I came across this ICE PAINTING activity while browsing some blogs. There were several blogs with this activity and I felt really curi... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Family, Featured, Holiday crafts, Mothers' Day, Teaching Ideas, Valentines Day Holiday Gifts: Thumbprint Heart Rings by Cheryl Villareal on May 7th, 2011
I previously shared our activity on Thumbprinted Heart Pendants and Flower Pendants, this time, I want to share with you how we made a ring using the same procedure! Out of all the jewelry we made using plaster of paris, this has got to be my favorite!...well at least for now! :)
What you will need
1 cup Plaster of Paris
1/2 cup water
Old adjustable ring
Circle shaped cookie cutter (or any roun... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Family, Featured, Flowers and Plants, Holiday crafts, Mothers' Day, Teaching Ideas, Valentines Day Flower Pendants for Mom by Cheryl Villareal on May 7th, 2011
They say jewelry is a woman's best friend. To a mom, jewelry is great but not necessary. However, handmade and personalized jewelry from the kids... now that's a lifetime treasure!
Just moments ago, I shared a post on making THUMBPRINT HEART PENDANTS/NECKLACES. This is a perfect gift for mother's day or for any other occasion if you ask me! So, since we had so much fun making these, I decided to experiment a little. After our tutoria... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )