- Filed under: Christmas, Classroom Designs, Featured, Holiday crafts, Teaching Ideas Classroom Fireplace Decor for Christmas by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 24th, 2012
We didn't have a Christmas tree nor any big Christmas lanterns, so where could we put the gifts on Christmas Day? Hmm.... why not build a fireplace!
What you will need:
White Cartolina or Bond Paper
Brown, red and black paint
Red, orange and yellow paper
What you will do:
Step 1: To get that "wood" effect, we painted on white cartolina using the colors Re... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Christmas, Classroom Designs, Featured, Holiday crafts, Recycled art, Teaching Ideas Puzzled Christmas Wreath by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 18th, 2011
It’s always fun to come up with a variety of objects to glue unto our Christmas wreaths! Last year, we tried gluing mittens and bottle caps, this year, we tried using old puzzle pieces to make colorful wreaths!
So I’m sure most of you have tried letting your kids put together a puzzle or two and after completing it, the puzzle pieces start getting lost one by one. So now you’re left with a box filled with incomplete puzzle pieces, what d... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Christmas, Featured, Holiday crafts, Teaching Ideas 2 in 1: Christmas Lantern and Christmas Card by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 12th, 2011
We originally wanted to make a Christmas lantern that we could hang inside the classroom (and the kids could hang in their homes later on). However, while doing the activity, we realized we could make it more meaningful by turning this lantern into a Christmas card….and so we did just that!
What you will need:
Colored tissue paper/ Crepe paper/ Japanese Paper
Ca... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Christmas, Featured, Hands can feel, Holiday crafts, Magic Art, Messy art, Science Experiments, Seasons, Senses and Body Parts, Summer, Teaching Ideas, Winter Ice Painting with the Kids by Cheryl Villareal on Aug 28th, 2011
When doing art with kids, one thing we need to remember is that the LESS structured it is, the MORE their creativity shines! As Teacher Tom once said, "It is not our job to be creative, it's the kid's" This line stuck with me and I always remember this when doing an art activity with the kids.
Last year, I came across this ICE PAINTING activity while browsing some blogs. There were several blogs with this activity and I felt really curi... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Christmas, Holiday crafts, Personalize, Teaching Ideas Jazzed Up Christmas Stockings by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 24th, 2010
Why spend huge amounts of money to buy the perfect Christmas stocking when the kids can make their own? It may not be as nice to others as a store bought stocking, but I assure you, that personal touch will do wonders! The kids will surely love it more.
What you will need
Fabric Glue/ All purpose glue or wood glue
Foam shapes/ Sequins and other random stuff to glue unto the stocking
Christmas Stocking or plain sock
... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Christmas, Family, Featured, Holiday crafts, Personalize, Teaching Ideas Family Picture Ornament by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 22nd, 2010
First of all, I'm really not sure what to call this! My partner and I saw an ornament via the internet where in they used a hanger and hung other stars below. We liked the idea but decided to try something else. So instead of a simple wrapped up hanger, we decided to make a frame using tinsel.
*Note: This is a 2 to 3 day activity. Let the child do each part per day. It would be tiring to finish them all in just one day.
What you will n... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Christmas, Featured, Holiday crafts, Personalize, Teaching Ideas Little Paper Plate Angels by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 21st, 2010
Another great craft this holiday season would be to make Christmas angels! But why limit it to the holidays? You can do it all year round! It would even be a wonderful activity for the start of school!
We wanted the toddlers to have their own personalized angels, but we wanted it to be different. So with the help of Adobe Photoshop, I made some funky looking faces for the kids by changing their hair color and making them look a little bit like... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Christmas, Featured, Holiday crafts, Messy art, Teaching Ideas Nativity Toothbrush Painting by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 19th, 2010
2 years ago, I had my practicum or on-the-job training at a nearby preschool. After several months of observing and training first hand, it was finally time to do my teaching demo. It was December so I was asked to teach something about the nativity. As for the art work, I was asked to teach the kids the colors black and white.
The first thing that popped into mind was.... "How in the world can I teach black and white and incorporate it with t... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Christmas, Featured, Holiday crafts, Teaching Ideas Recycled Christmas Wreath by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 18th, 2010
Who says you can't make a Christmas decor using stuff lying around the house? This week, I decided to let my 8 year old tutee make her own Christmas wreath. I gave her suggestions as to what we can do and she chose to make a bottle cap wreath. It's really easy to make and will sure bring some Christmas cheer when you hang it on the front door.
What you will need
Green paint and paint brush
Glue gun or oth... Read More » Tags Share Comments (0 )
- Filed under: Arts and Crafts, Christmas, Colors and Shapes, Edible crafts, Featured, Holiday crafts, Shared Blogs, Teaching Ideas M&M Christmas Tree by Cheryl Villareal on Dec 17th, 2010
Here's another fun way to have the toddlers decorate their own Christmas tree. I'm sure they'd be begging you for more! I don't think the challenge here will be to get them to finish it, but rather to get them to stop eating the chocolates!
This activity was shared by my co-teacher, Sandra Ong. She is a Chinese nursery teacher from a private school in the Philippines. Thank you Teacher Sandra.
What you will need:
Pre-printed Christ... Read More » Tags Share Comments (1 )